I’m sure you know a number of things about dogs. You probably know they have an unusually keen sense of smell. But your pet also has a few interesting facts about canines that you just may not know. Well just check out these facts about man’s best friend.
Dogs are a very popular pet all around the world. People treat them as regular members of their family. If you are a dog lover, you may have spent many hours learning all you can about your beloved pet. You might know that the largest dogs are Irish Wolfhounds and that the brain of a dog specializes in scent. However, I’m sure that there are a few things that you may not know that could “blow your mind.”
For example, did you know that…
– Dogs have the capability to understand at least 250 gestures and words. They can also count up to five. Most dogs, on average, have the intelligence equal to a two-year old child.
– Dogs don’t enjoy hugs like humans do.
– Many years ago in ancient China, the Emperor would use a very small Pekingese Dog hidden up inside his sleeve. In battle, he would use the dogs to protect him.
– Lord Byron attended Cambridge Trinity College and was told his dog was not allowed to accompany him. As a form of retaliation, he brought a bear with him instead. This was a very shocking incident (to say the least).
– In ancient Greece, dog owners used spiked collars for their dogs to protect them from being attacked in the throat by wolves. Wolf attacks were quite common during these times and many pet owners lost pets to being attacked by wolves.
Dogs are a man’s best friend (not to mention women and children!). Now you know a little more about them.